File Viewer Plus can open WPS files! It includes a professional-quality document editor similar to Microsoft Word and allows you to convert your WPS file to various file formats, such as DOCX and PDF. Open WPS files without Microsoft Works. Try File Viewer Plus today! Wps Viewer free download - PDF-XChange Viewer, FastStone Image Viewer, Free Photo Viewer, and many more programs. File Viewer Lite. View over 150 file types on your Windows PC. A WPS file is a word processing document created in Microsoft Works. WPS files can be opened using Microsoft Word on Windows computers, a third-party WPS viewer on Mac OS X, or with an online file converter or file viewer website. Method 1 Opening WPS Files in Windows.
There is nothing more annoying than when someone sends you a document created in Microsoft Works and you can’t open it. Although it’s rare, you might come across this problem,and here’s how to open and / or convert those annoying files.
Usually to open a file created with Microsoft Works you need to have it installed on your PC…but you don’t need to spend $40 on the program just to open the occasional .wps file. Let’s take a look at some free options you have for reading and converting.wps files even if you don’t Microsoft Word installed.
If someone sends you a .wps file and you don’t have Microsoft Works installed, you’ll see that no program associates itself with it.
If you double-click the file, you’ll see the following screen letting you know Windows doesn’t recognize the file. You can choose to use the MS Web service to find the correct program.
Your default browser opens and here you can see it’s a Microsoft Works document, and it points you to the site to purchase the program which goes for $39.99
If you try other word processing programs already on your Windows PC like WordPad or Notepad it will just open with a bunch of gibberish.
1. Let’s take a look at solving the problem. Download and install Word Viewer from Microsoft. It’s free and will allow you to read Word and Microsoft Works 6.0 & 7.0 .wps files without having to purchase MS Office.
2. Installation is basic…just follow the defaults offered by the Install wizard.
3. After it’s installed, right-click on the .wps file and click Open with >> Choose default program from the Context Menu.
4. Then expand the Other Programs section and you should see Microsoft Word Viewer in the list. If you want to make it the default program for .wps files, check the box next to Always use the selected program to open this kind of file then click OK. This will open documents that were created in MS Works 6.0 or 7.0.
5. Success! You can now view the contents of the .wps file. Keep in mind that this program will only let you view the content and not do any editing.
However, it won’t be able to open .wps files created with MS Works 8.0 or above.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if it does open the .wps file, some of the formatting may be lost, especially if there are embedded images.
6. So if that doesn’t work, download and install Microsoft Works 6-9 File Converter. Follow the Install wizard and accept the defaults.
7. Now when you go to open the document in Microsoft Word Viewer, you’ll be able open and read the document successfully. Again, it may not look correct if there’s a lot of special formatting in the document.
8. If you want to convert the .wps file to a read AND edit you can turn to the Internet. One of the services I’ve had the best luck with is ZAMZAR located at zamzar.com. Head to their website, select Convert Files, then simply go through the 4 step process. Upload the .wps file, choose the format you want it converted to, enter your email address and click Convert.
9. Verify the information you entered and click OK.
10. Wait while the file is uploaded and converted.
11. Then you’ll see the following message on the site when the process is complete.
12. In a few minutes (maybe more depending on the file size) you’ll get an email from ZAMZAR with a link to the file.
13. You’re directed to the Zamzar site…click the Download Now button.
14. Now you have you your Doc file that you can open with Microsoft Word Viewer or open and edit with Open Office which is a free suite of Office applications from Oracle. Of course since we converted it to .doc format, you can use it with Google Docs and other online office services that support .doc format.
If you don’t have Microsoft Word installed on your computer and someone sends you a .wps file, hopefully these tips will help you out so you can read and edit its content.
Dec 21, 2020 • Filed to: Recover & Repair Files • Proven solutions
Time and again, we come across the WPS file while working on the Windows Operating System. However, not many of us are aware of what these files really are. There are many users who have associated themselves with the Windows Operating System for long without caring to garner any knowledge about the WPS file. In the given article, we shall discuss all the possible methods that can prove to be useful when it comes to accessing a WPS file in Microsoft Word. For the ones who are lacking knowledge about the WPS file, we shall first try and understand what the WPS file really is. Following this, we shall list out the methodologies that can prove to be useful when it comes to opening the WPS file in Microsoft Word.
Part 1 What is the WPS File?
Wps File Viewer Online
To begin with, one needs to understand that the WPS file format is quite similar to the DOC format. However, while being a text document, it is created with the Microsoft Works Word Processor and doesn’t come with the advanced formatting options and macros that are otherwise included in the Word document. Users should note that while most versions of Microsoft Word can open a WPS file along with Microsoft Publisher, but the format has been discontinued since 2006, and further replaced with the standard MS Word DOC format.
So, what is the use of the WPS file then? Users must note that the WPS file format is used by Microsoft Works Word Processor Files. The files with the WPS extension contain word processing documents that have been created by the Microsoft Works software suite. While containing richly formatted text along with images, the WPS file format also includes clipart and tables. There is the inclusion of a C++ library, which is called ‘libwps’ and it allows reading and writing of WPS documents. The library also allows for the functioning of applications that include ‘OxygenOffice’ and ‘NeoOffice’ that allow for the opening and editing of a WPS file.
Part 2 How do I open the WPS File in Word?
For the users looking to access their WPS file in Word, the methodologies have been discussed in this section. In order to assist users, Microsoft offers a free file which is named as ‘WorksConv.exe’ and is compatible with Microsoft Word 2000 and later variants. This helps you access all the WPS file formats, which Microsoft Works 6.0-9.0 documents. For the ones who are looking to access a primitive version of the WPS file, which could include a WPS file that has been created with Microsoft Works 4.0 or 4.5, there is another free file being offered by Microsoft called the ‘Wks4Converter_en-US.msi’ file which has ease of compatibility with Microsoft Word 2000 or later.
We recommend that users install both the above-listed files if they are looking to open a WPS file in Microsoft Word. However, an additional note for our users is that Microsoft Word 2013 is capable of opening Microsoft Works 6.0 to 9.0. However, the default feature in Word 2013 doesn’t mean that one doesn’t have to download and install the ‘Wks4Converter_en_US.msi’ file, especially if they are looking to open Microsoft Works 4.0 or 4.5 documents.
So, here are the steps to access a WPS file in Word:
1) Ensure that above-listed files have been downloaded;
2) Start the process by closing all the Microsoft Word Windows that were previously opened;
3) You are now required to double-click the ‘WorksConv.exe’ file and follow the prompts in order to complete the installation. Similarly, double-tap the ‘Wks4Converter_en-US.msi’ file, and following its prompts, complete its installation too.
4) Once both the files have been downloaded with the help of prompts, you can open Microsoft Word in order to open the WPS file.
5) Once you are within the MS-Word interface, tap ‘File’, and then tap on ‘Open’. If you do not come across a File Menu, click the Microsoft Office button that appears in the top left of the Word Window, and then tap on Open.
6) Please note that the users working on Word 2013 are required to select ‘Computer’, followed by ‘Browse’ after starting by clicking on the ‘Open’ option.
7) Once you have accessed the Open Window, within the ‘File of Type’ drop-down menu, or the unlabeled drop-down menu that appears next to the File name text field, you should come across multiple options; ‘Works 4.x (.wps), ‘Works 6-9 Document (.wps), or ‘Works 6.0 (.wps).
8) Users are then required to choose the file version which they are trying to open in Word. For the ones who aren’t really sure of the version of their WPS file, it’s best to go for the ‘Works 6-9 Document (.wps) option.
9 )The final step includes browsing to the location of the WPS file you are looking to open, selecting the file, and tapping the ‘Open’ button.
While users can successfully open the WPS file, there is also the option to save all the hassle by simply converting the opened WPS file into a Word File. The steps for the same have been listed below.
1) Once the WPS file has been opened and modified; simply click File and tap ‘Save As’. For the ones who do not come across a File Menu, you can tap the ‘Microsoft Office Button’ that appears in the top left of the Word Window, and then tap on ‘Save As’.
2) Once you have accessed the ‘Save As’ window, choose the location where you wish to save the file.
3) Rename the file as per your choice, and while saving the WPS file, make sure to select ‘Microsoft Word (.doc) format from the drop-down menu.
4) Tap on ‘OK’ or ‘Save’ when you are done with the saving.
Accessing a WPS file in Word is not difficult if one has the correct methodology to follow. Once the required files have been installed, you can repeatedly open your WPS file in Word without any hassle. However, if you are looking to open the WPS file in different locations or systems, we recommend that you go for the conversion of the WPS file to Word file using the above steps.
Recoverit - The Best Word Files Recovery Software
- Recover lost or deleted files, photos, audio, music, emails from any storage device effectively, safely and completely.
- Supports data recovery from recycle bin, hard drive, memory card, flash drive, digital camera, and camcorders.
- Supports to recover data for sudden deletion, formatting, lost partition, virus attack, system crash under different situations.
Rescue & Fix Files
Wps File Viewer Windows 10
- Recover Document Files
- Repair Document Files
- Recover & Repair More
- Clear & Delete File